Cooking salmon in the microwave is quick, less mess and still tasty. When microwaving, salmon needs to be cooked in 30 second time-slots to retain its nutritional value and moistness. The trick is to turn the salmon each 30 seconds during cooking process. When microwaving, cooked parts of the salmon are cut off because it cooks from the outside – in. Keep pieces warm, then lay salmon pieces onto warmed vegetables, colour garnish it.
- Lightly salt (or salt and pepper) salmon piece on both sides.
- Cook whole salmon piece in microwave dish for first 30 secs, then flip over.
- Cook whole piece for second 30 secs, flip back.
- Cover with absorbent paper each time now, as it will start to splatter.
- Cook whole piece for third 30 secs.
- Cut off cooked thin parts on outside of whole salmon.
- Cover cooked salmon pieces and keep warm.
- Cook smaller piece of salmon for fourth 30 secs. (The middle is usually thicker)
- Cut off any cooked parts again.
- Cook the smaller piece of salmon for fifth 30 secs.
- Halve the last little piece of salmon and cook for about 15 secs.
Add Colour for Presentation
Warm pre-cooked favourite vegetables. I used warmed up mushroom and vegetables (zucchini, bok choy, red cabbage) mix. Then I colour garnished with coucous, Roma tomatoes, nuts and seeds (pepitas, sunflower seeds and goji berries). Colour for impact presentation.
Step-by-step salmon cooking
In microwave (1100w), lay whole piece skin down first. Then cook for 30 secs on each side. Flip after first 30 secs so skin faces up. Then cook for second 30 secs.
Flip back with salmon flesh facing up. Cook a third 30 secs, but use paper cover otherwise it will splatter.
Cut off cooked salmon, so not to overcook the cooked salmon. Cover with paper.
Cook for a fourth 30 secs., flip over, cook fifth 30 secs and flip back. Separate into halves and cook about 15 secs.
Cover salmon to avoid splatter, which means less mess to clean up. Listen for splatter sounds.
Before and After
See the difference in the before (left) and after (right) colouring of your plate with red tomatoes, yellow cous cows, nuts, seeds etc.,. It looks like a much more appetising meal.