Homegrown pumpkins were used for this Pumpkin & Chicken Soup recipe. It is a combination of the numerous recipe books mum has used over the years. She likes it because it has four ingredients, is nutritious and is easy when you’re busy.
- 2 extra large onions
- 1.5 kg pumpkin
- 6 chicken legs
- 1.5 L water
- salt to taste
- cream & parsley
- carrot, celery
- Chop all the vegetables.
- Place veggies, chicken legs and water in the saucepan.
- Bring to boil. Add salt if needed.
- Let it simmer for about an hour, until well cooked.
- Pull off the meat from the chicken legs, chop and put back in pumpkin mix.
- If you have a Bamix or stick blender, blend it in saucepan.
- Otherwise carefully pour hot pumpkin and chicken contents in glass blender.
- A high powered blender will also shred the chicken finely.
- Ready to serve.
- Garnish with cream and parsley (optional)
Pumpkin & Chicken Soup (not garnished) Vegetables & chicken cooking in big saucepan.
Homegrown pumpkin vines near chook pen, using their manure to grow vegetables.